Get Our Free Updates To Your Phone Asap by Texting 'Follow @Naijavibesnet' To 40404 Now. Note: Its For Free!!!
Mikel Obi moved to Chinese Super League side Tianjin Teda for a whopping £140,000-per- week deal from premier league giants Chelsea.
The 29-year-old left the Stamford Bridge side after ten quality years that saw him win 11 titles and after leading Nigeria’s Under-23 squad to a Bronze medal finish at the Rio Olympics.
Here are things you need to know about Mikel’s new team:
1. Tianjin Teda is based in Tianjin and their home stadium is the Tianjin Olympic Center Stadium that has a seating capacity of 54,696.
2. Their owners are the TEDA Holding a state- owned conglomerate of the People’s Republic of China.
3. According to Forbes, Tianjin are the 8th most valuable football team in China, with a team value of $84 million, and an estimated revenue of $15 million in 2015.
4. Mikel makes it nine foreign players at the club
5. Tianjin Teda has never won the Chinese Super League but were runners up in 2010
6. Four Africans play for the club. Malick Evouna (Gabon), Zainadine Júnior (Mozambique), Mbaye Diagne (Senegal) and Mikel Obi (Nigeria)
7. A Portuguese Jaime Pacheco is the manager of the team and assisted by countryman Antonio Natal
8. The club’s goalkeeping coach is Khadim Faye from Senegal
9. The club has changed its name 5 times from Tianjin City FC to Tianjin FC, Tianjin Samsung, Tianjin Lifei and to Tianjin Teda in 1998.
10. The club retired its number 12 jersey in January 2012. The number is regarded as that of the club Supporters (the 12th Man).
11. The club has won the Chinese Jia-A League three times; 1960, 1980 and 1983.
12. In 1998, a Uruguayan Osvaldo Gimenez became the first foreign manager to handle the team